Keyword research is the initial and most important step in Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It is the process of finding popular keyphrases or keywords through which users search the website. So users use keywords to find something on the search engine. And if your website appears, when a user searches some specific keyword on the search engine, he or she may visit your site. For example, you have an online shoe store. In this case when a user searching to buy shoes online, search it by typing “shoe online”, “online shoe delivery” or any other keyword strikes into their mind. In this case “shoe online”, “online shoe delivery” etc are keywords.
When a user searches this in search engine number of websites will open in front of him. And obviously, the user will visit the site which is displaying on the first page, the user will rarely go to the second page of the search engine. So the whole SEO game depends upon the keywords and their ranking on SERP. If your website ranks high on SERP by searching a specific Keyword, the large number of visitors visit your website. An important term in keyword research is Keyword Volume.
What is the keyword search Volume?
Keyword search volume is the most important term in Keyword research. It is the number of times the key phrase is searched in a search engine by the user in a specified time(usually in a month). For example, if on average 2100 users( or 2100 times it is searched) in a month type “online SEO course” to find SEO training online, than its keyword volume is 2100. The maximum number of times it is searched by the user, high will be the volume of a keyword. They are several tools to find the keyword volume for example keywordseverywhere, ubersuggest, keyword planner, etc.
Commonly used Keyword (Kw) to rank website and get traffic
- Short tails keyword: Short tail keywords are made up of using not more than three words.
- Long-tail keyword: Long-tail keywords are more specific and made using more than three words.
- Fresh Keyword: Fresh keywords are those key phrases that are trending for some specific period. This means that they are not evergreen key phrases, the trend for some specified period only.
- Evergreen keyword: These are the keywords whose search volume is almost constant all the time. They are generally key phrases used by the searchers to find something.
- Geo-Targeting keyword: Geo-targeting keywords are the key phrases that are used to target the location. “For example a cake shop in Lucknow”
- LSI Keyword: Latent Semantic Indexing or LSI keywords are the key phrases that are closely related to the focused key phrases. For example, suppose you type ” cake shop” in the search bar. You can see at the bottom of the SERP other related keyphrases mentioned there as a suggestion like “cake shop near me” etc.
So above were some types of keywords that are commonly used to rank the website on SERP to generate a good amount of traffic.